Type your new text here.
More Information on Gun Violence
And How to Write a Letter to your representatives
Some Statistics on Gun Violence
- The number of mass shootings* in the United States has increased every year from 269 in the year 2014 to 692 in 2021 [Gun Violence Archive].
- Since the PNWAC petition due date of April 15th, 2022, up to the drafting of this website on June 6th, 2022, there have been 120 mass shootings* in the U.S [Gun Violence Archive].
- In the U.S., 64 percent of women who are murdered each year die at the hands of a family member or intimate partner. In situations involving domestic violence, having a gun in the home makes a woman eight times more likely to be killed [AJPH].
- Over half of suicides in the United States are through firearms [CDC].
- Approximately three million American children witness gun violence every year [JAMA Pediatrics].
- The median age of school shooters is 16 [Washington Post].
*(defined as four or more people shot, even if no one was killed, excluding the shooters)
Information about the Proposed 2023-24 Legislation:
Writing a letter to your elected officials
First, let's be honest. Many of us don't know the people who represent us – at least not all of them. If you are going to take the time to write a letter, you may as well look up your state and federal representatives and send it to each one that represents you. Below are links where you can research and find your elected officials. If your state isn't listed, a quick Google search is likely to get the information you need as well.